When you’re expecting a baby one thing is a guaranteed in the future, that first year of your little ones life you’ll probably have less time to be able to spend with your partner and going on dates will be harder. Especially when it’s your first baby the adjustment can be a little rough to balancing parenthood and still making time for your partner. This is why it’s always nice to be able to get in as many good quality dates before baby comes, to really just enjoy that time.
- Go out to eat! After the first trimester a lot of the morning sickness can subside and you actually start craving things. There’s a million amazing places in Edmonton to eat. If you’d like to try a bunch of different foods there’s the Taste of Edmonton that runs from July 22- August 1. Got a craving for ice cream? Made by Marcus offers unique ice cream flavours made from scratch in a fun spot right on Whyte Ave. Or if you’re too tired and not feeling like going out, you can always use Uber Eats or Skip the Dishes to try a new culinary experience at home in the comfort of your sweats.
- Enjoy a movie. Sometimes when you’re pregnant you just want an easy date night, going to the movies are perfect for that! If you want an even more luxury experience why not try the VIP Cinema where you get extra comfy chairs (a big plus when you’re pregnant and super uncomfortable) and can order snacks and dinner right to your seat.
- Get a couples massage. You’re already probably feeling all the aches and pains from growing a human, why not treat yourself and your partner to some pampering together? Therapeutic Body Concepts in West Edmonton offers amazing couples massages you can enjoy together that so many people are raving about.
- Explore the outdoors. Sometimes in pregnancy it feels good not to be sitting, so why not enjoy some of the great spots around Edmonton. There are a million cute parks and paths to take around the city. If you want something simple you can go take a walk in the River Valley, or Hawrelak Park has lots of paths to take and picnic areas. If you’re looking for something a little different, just outside of the city is the U of A Botanic Gardens, which has been completely redone. There’s so many different kinds of flowers and it really is a must-see.
- Go check out a farmers market. Farmer’s Markets make great dates because there’s a great combo of food and finding one of a kind things (and lots have baby clothes and unique things!). If you’re looking for mostly foods and fresh fruits and veggies, the Old Strathcona Farmer’s Market is your best bet and it’s open year round. It’s you just want a farmer’s market that’s massive with lots of variety definitely go see the St. Albert Farmer’s Market which runs every Saturday in the summer.
- Have an arts night! There are a lot of great art experiences when it comes to Edmonton, and they’re a great easy date night (which is exactly what’s needed when you’re pregnant). At the Edmonton Expo right now is the Imagine Van Gogh exhibit where you can view Van Gogh’s works come to life! If you’re wanting to actually be an artist, why not try creating some of your own pottery at Color Me Mine.
- Go listen to some music. Once baby gets big enough in the womb, they can actually hear music that you listen to, so why not start them off early. There are a bunch of festivals starting up again this summer. The Patio Music Series at the Edmonton Valley Ski Club offers different live artists on their outdoor patio in various weekends throughout the summer. If you want the concert experience from the comfort of your home, the Edmonton Folk Festival runs August 6-8 online, so you can chill at home with your love and enjoy some good music.
It doesn’t matter what you end up doing, enjoying a fun night with your partner is great way to relax and reconnect before your little early arrives. So make a plan, try something new, and enjoy some time to yourselves before baby arrives!